Tuesday 8 April 2014

Prayer for a Tuesday

Tuesday is an odd day isn't it? Not Monday, so there's no free pass to be grumpy, not Wednesday, so you don't feel like you're really making it to the weekend just yet. Tuesday is just sort of there, waiting to be got through.

I'm a fan of reading plans, and yesterday i started Joe Thorn's plan to read through the Valley of Vision in three months. I've had a copy of this book of Puritan prayers for a few years, but have hardly scratched the surface. I'm looking forward to doing just that in the coming weeks.

This morning's prayer was 'The Deeps' and what follows is the second half of that prayer.

Plough deep in me, great Lord, heavenly Husbandman,
that my being may be a tilled field,
the roots of grace spreading far and wide
until thou alone art seen in me
thy beauty golden like the summer harvest,
thy fruitfulness as Autumn plenty.

I have no master but thee,
no law but thy will,
no delight but thyself,
no wealth but that thou givest,
no good but that thou blessest,

I am nothing but that thou maketh me,
I have nothing but that i receive from thee
I can be nothing but that grace adorns me.

Quarry me deep, dear Lord,
and then fill me to overflowing,
with living water.

No comments:

Post a Comment