Monday 16 July 2012

I'll Be With You

Horatio Nelson's last breath is stored in a jar in a museum in London. I'm not sure how they got it, i imagine a guy standing over him saying 'is that it, is that it?' But the way things end are important aren't they? How did Jesus end things? He told us that he'll never leave us.

Not in the valley, not on the mountain, not on the good days, not on the bad days. Not when we sin, not when we pray. Never leave us. Jesus last words included a strategy to reach the whole world. Jesus last words included a deep theological treatise, but all of Jesus last words speak of relationship.

In John's Gospel Jesus spends His last night teaching His disciples about the Trinity, the very nature of God. What is the nature of God? Relationship, love, giving and spreading and outgoing goodness. What is the nature of God? A commitment to never leave His people.

Jesus was not primarily a teacher, although He did teach. I loved (most) of my teachers, but none of them came into my finals with me. I expect they had better things to do for three hours on cup final Saturday (not bitter!). They taught, and sent us off on our way. Jesus wasn't primarily a religious leader, although He did organize a religion and institute the Church. I love the men that lead my church, and have led the churches i've been part of. But they can't do my devotions for me, can't be sanctified for me.

Jesus comes to save. Jesus comes to create and confirm a relationship with His people, His bride. And He'll never leave us, because He loves us, He is committed, He has died and risen again. He goes into every exam and every devotion...every situation with me. And you.

So, whatever you face today, or tomorrow, know that Jesus faces it with you. Know that as you go, bu the power of the Holy Spirit, He goes with you. In fact, know that it is better that Jesus isn't physically present so that He can be with us by the Holy Spirit. What a great promise from Jesus!

No comments:

Post a Comment